Make a difference! Become an ELL tutor!
The Joliet Public Library in partnership with The Vietnamese Association of Illinois is looking for volunteer tutors to help adult learners with limited literacy skills improve their reading and writing. Once trained, tutors will provide in-person ESL programs at the Black Road Branch. The Vietnamese Association of Illinois will provide free training. No previous teaching experience is required. If interested, please contact Ivan at firstname.lastname@example.org or Matt at email@example.com
The steps for becoming a new tutor are as follows:
- Register - please visit litworks.org/tutortraining and choose ESL. When signing up, remember to mention VAI.
- Confirmation Email - this will arrive shortly after you register; please check your spam folders and read the full email.
- Independent work in Canvas - follow the steps detailed in the email and the Navigating Tutor Essentials guide to create an account and enroll in the courses. Complete the work at your own pace.
- Live training via Zoom - after completing Parts 1 and 2, you must sign up for live training. Choose a convenient date and time.
- Make sure you have completed all of the steps.
Complete independent work Part 1 (ESL) in Canvas
Attend a live training for Part 1
Complete independent work Part 2
Attend a live training for Part 2
Once you have completed all four parts (12-hours) we will send you a certificate of completion and you
are ready to start tutoring.